Asbestos is a mineral substance comprising of a fluffy consistency. It occurs in a natural form that is soft and flexible. This substance is also known to be resistant to the forms of electricity, heat and chemical corrosion making it strong. Moreover, the strength of asbestos increases when mixed with materials such as plastic, paper, cloth etc. In earlier days, asbestos was considered to be highly beneficial. But later on, it turned out to be highly toxic.
The reason behind being toxic was because it contains a mixture of silicate minerals instead of just one. Asbestos is classified into a few types by the AHERA (US Governments Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986).
- Amosite – This type of asbestos is mainly found in cement sheets, insulating board, pipe insulation products and ceiling tiles. Aka brown asbestos.
- Chrysotile – This type of asbestos is considered to be the most common type found in walls, ceilings, floors of a structure. Aka white asbestos.
- Crocidolite – In the earlier days, this type of asbestos was highly used to offer protection to steam engines. It was also used in cement products, pipe insulation and plastics. Aka blue asbestos.
- Tremolite and Actinolite – These are the 2 types of asbestos are never used in the commercial industry for contaminating other forms of asbestos such as chrysotile, talc and vermiculite.
- Anthophyllite – This type of asbestos has a white, green or grey color appearance which is used in insulation products and construction materials. However, this type of asbestos is used in limited quantity because it would contaminate other types of asbestos.
Make sure asbestos removal in Newcastle and other parts of Australia is done ASAP.